Monday, September 8, 2008

Where to Start? Today!


This week started out with a bang as after church we came home to find all our boxes of peaches ripe (nearing too ripe) and ready to can. So we did a family home evening with our kids and discussed being self sufficient and the benefit of food storage. So does this count even though I was canning on Sunday? 67 quarts later we have some beautiful peaches to look at. Now that they are all done and so pretty on the shelf, I don't want to eat them. My husband has harrassed me for years that I can't eat what I have canned. I do have a hard time eating the food in the pretty jars on the shelf. As my husband says, "it was not put there to look at." I heard an old wives tale from years back that supports my thoughts however, and it is that you are not allowed to eat the new food until after Thanksgiving. This is to encourage you to finish the old food and rotate what you have. That will give me a little more time to enjoy my "pretty jars".


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Carene,
I love the first post! And I can't believe that you canned that much in a day. Amazing. I am hoping to get around to canning some apples/applesauce sometime in the next month. I hardly recognized you with that long hair. Beautiful. =)

Annie said...

I'm so glad that you guys have started a blog. I have been thinking about you guys lately and wondering how everything is going. It will be fun to be able to keep in touch.

Good work on the canning. I need to get into canning. Or at least I need to learn how to make plum jam. We have tons of plums, almost ready to pick, and I don't know what I am going to do with them

The Emmett's said...

Beautiful peaches.. Mom used some of the peaches I canned years ago as a display in her kitchen when she was trying to sell the house on the hill. They are really to pretty to eat when they are first canned.